Forum > Travel > JALDAPARA WILDLIFE SANCTUARY-Where mother nature unfolds

Posted by DEEPJYOTI on November 25, 2011

welcome!!
ENTRANCE TO JALDAPRA W.S

Thursday, 24 November 2011

Where it all begun

My trip to jaldapara wildlife sanctuary was debut in forest and wildlife tours. And it was certainly the one I would remember for years to come. We took the best way possible to reach JWS through train. We went to NEW JALPAIGURU from where we took the train to MADARIHAT, a small village that serves as the gateway to JWS. One can even opt for other routes as their are various via roads and rails.

By noon we reached MADARIHAT and a car picked us up and went to HOLLONG FOREST LODGE inside the JWS core forest area. The tourist lodge is rarely available and it is to be booked atleast a 120 days before to reserve it. But people can opt for other hotels also that is present in MADARIHAT.
After a delicios lunch we got ready for our evening forest safari in a jeep.

Our first destination was HARINDANGA WATCH TOWER. From the watch tower there is a beautiful view of the spanning forest. But to our luck we couldn't spot any animals from there. Disappointed we left and continued out ride to JALDAPARA WATCH TOWER.

En route to their quiet a lot peacocks and peahens can be sighted moving around along the road. Keeping our eyes open we moved on and got our rewards when we spotted a herd of GAUR. Indian wild buffaloes , bigger in size to their african counter part. The gaurs are mainly black in color with milky white coverings from their knees to hoof and their big horns. Looked like they were wearing caps and sock. Moving in herd it was quiet a bit far from our jeep still we managed a good glimpse.
Finally we arrived at jaldapara watch tower from which a good view of barking deer nibbling in the field could be seen. Timid and shy creature it is and any movement made by us alerted it as a result always kept a safe distance from the watch tower.
Finally it was dark a bit at dusk and we started off for HOLLONG. Our final resting place for the night. A stay at hollong for the night is as good as the safari as the natives of the forest come together in the front view of the lodge deep at night. Salt pits are put to feed the animals which are in requirement for animals to in take minerals. These attract the animals at the night and they are visible from the windows of the room. A great night to be experienced.
 At dawn try to avail the first of the elephant trips to get more chances of viewing the animals. We did so and got lucky. KUNKI meaning female tamed elephants take four at once to visit inside the green. It is a ride to remember cause it gets you up-close and personal with the forest. The tension and excitement is captured best on the ride.

The ride takes you to true core forest area where sometimes the light does not enter. The leafs of the plants and its other parts often touch you and feels like serpent crawling on you. After a while we reached the grassland where mother nature revealed its secret and we were blessed to see the ONE HORNED RHINOCEROS native to INDIA. Elephants get you as close as 10 yards to them as rhinos are generally well behaved animals provided you don't agitate them.
An average of 2 - 3 rhinos are visible to every tourist, far less than KAZIRANGA in ASSAM though. It is due to the total size of JWS is one-eighth of the kaziranga. Moving ahead with our trip we caught a glance of SAMBAR, big and strong hervivores. Presence of those animal proved that bengal tiger is also available but rarest to be spotted.

We were content to find the diverse variety of flora and fauna and my jungle experience was really great. I promised I shall return in the green soon. And most luckily mother nature rewarded us with the icing on the cake. From a 50 yards out we could spot a animal which is so popular to us, the most successful of  all killer cats. THE INDIAN LEOPARD. Resting and tanning its skin in the morning sun it rested on the ground.
And after sometimes it started having its breakfast from a kill it had last night. That was the probability, as said by our mahut. But we continued to click pictures of it from a good distance as time came to halt. It was a lifetime view.

After the wonderful , once in a light year jungle ride we were back at our HOLLONG and at noon we bid adieu to the JWS catching train back to NJP via madarihat.

I enjoyed being in mother nature's lap and now i frequently visit. You should too. It wont dishearten you if you keep faith in her. Run to her as soon as possible. :)

Share this post:

Post your Comment

Jyotsna Ramani says

December 27, 2011 at 09:45 AM

Wow this is great stuff buddy. Happy to hear about your adventures. I never knew we could have such lovely sightings in Jaldapara.

Jyotsna Ramani says

Wow this is great stuff buddy. Happy to hear about your adventures. I never knew we could have such lovely sightings in Jaldapara.

Jyotsna Ramani says

Jyotsna Ramani says

Jyotsna Ramani says

Download IWC Android app     IWC Android app

Copyright © 2001 - 2024 Indian Wildlife Club. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use

Website developed and managed by Alok Kaushik